Main aims of degree programmes in chemistry-
- To instil in students a sense of enthusiasm for chemistry, an appreciation of its application in different contexts and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.
- 2 To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of chemical knowledge and practical skills.
- 3 To develop in students the ability to apply their chemical knowledge and skills to the solution of theoretical and practical problems in chemistry.
- 4 To develop in students, through an education in chemistry, a range of transferable skills, of value in chemical and non-chemical employment.
- 5 To provide students with a knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialised areas of chemistry or multi-disciplinary areas involving chemistry.
- 6 To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of chemistry in an industrial, economic, environmental and social context.
At bachelors honours level, students are expected to develop a wide range of different abilities and skills.
The main abilities and skills that students are expected to have developed by the end of their bachelors honours degree programme in chemistry, are as follows.
Chemistry-related cognitive abilities and skills
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories relating to the subject areas identified above.
- Ability to apply such knowledge and understanding to the solution of qualitative and quantitative problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature.
- Ability to recognise and analyse novel problems and plan strategies for their solution.
- Skills in the evaluation, interpretation and synthesis of chemical information and data.
- Skills in presenting scientific material and arguments clearly and correctly, in writing and orally, to a range of audiences.
- Computational and data-processing skills, relating to chemical information and data.
The mandate of the Department of Chemistry is to provide vast chemical knowledge of both theory and practical to the students.
The main objective of the department is to become a leading department in the field of research and teaching in chemistry in India and to produce skilled chemists who can serve the nation with their deep knowledge.